Womp womp, can’t believe its already November- birthday month, Thanksgiving, and Black Friday! It’s one of my favorite months! I hope everyone had a great time celebrating Halloween, I had a lot of fun! Today, I wanted to talk with you about healthy snacking and how to TRY and do it. Let’s be honest, sometimes snacking and dessert and alcoholic beverages get in the way of a nutritious diet. But if we have balance and moderation, it’s perfectly okay to indulge!
Here are a few of my ideas on how to snack better:
- First and foremost, try to avoid purchasing unhealthy snacks. For me, chips are my serious downfall– nom nom nom salt. Most of the time I don’t buy chips for this reason. If they are outside of my apartment, it’s more effort to eat them.
- Eat healthy granola bars. I keep granola bars in my purse, and work bag because I get hungry all the time. If I eat a healthy granola bar, I will stop myself from a really unhealthy snack. By healthy granola bars, I mean bars that aren’t super high in sugar and calories. This can be a hard task, see Shopping Trader Joe’s for my favorite bars.
- Drink water, when I’m craving a snack, I try to quench it by drinking a cup of cold water. Drinking water helps your digestive system and it helps me distinguish between hunger and work day boredom.
- Eat protein heavy snacks. Eating something with protein will keep you full longer, and it will quench your hunger better than something high in sugar. I like to have overnight oats as a work day snack, or yogurt.
- Appetizers are snacks right? When I get an appetizer, I will either a) order a small dinner like a salad or another appetizer or b) I will eat half of my dinner portion at the restaurant and box the rest up for another meal. This helps me to avoid overeating and I still get a lot of different choices at restaurants. The other week, my friends and I ordered an amazing brussel sprout appetizer. There is so much good sauce on this appetizer that it might not even be healthy anymore haha. After this great appetizer, I got another appetizer for dinner that was smaller than an entree. I had plenty to eat without overeating, and I was able to feel good about my food choices.
I made The Healthy Maven’s Vegetarian Quinoa Chili over the weekend. It was delicious, I’ve been eating it for lunch. It was also really easy to make, I used Target brand simply balanced beans for the recipe!
Do you have any tips for healthy snacking?