First off, wow its already October 6th. I finally changed my calendar to October yesterday. (Yes I still have a hard copy calendar on my wall). I’m happy for fall, but it was 31 degrees outside when I got up to work out yesterday. I am NOT ready for that. Now back to the real reason for this post… Going to college in Wisconsin, I really appreciated cheese. I went to the Wisconsin farmers market often, and you could buy cheese bread, spread cheese, fried cheese, squeaky cheese curds, etc there. Sometimes I think that cheese is a food group there. A few summers ago, I started making this tasty batch of cheesy potatoes. They are made with frozen hashbrowns, and they have the perfect amount of crunch on top.
Warning, only make these for big get togethers— otherwise you will get stuck eating a lot of them. Let’s be honest, that isn’t a bad thing. 🙂 It just means eating your other meals in moderation, or going on a longer workout to make up for it. I promise this is worth the calories. In the past, I’ve made this recipe for pot lucks, when friends visit, and Friendsgiving dinners. I can’t believe how soon Thanksgiving and the holidays are coming up. I’m actually pretty excited about it!
Bring these cheesy potatoes to your next potluck! They will be a big hit 🙂
- 2 lb frozen hashbrowns thaw these in advance!
- 1 pint sour cream I usually use a light sour cream
- 2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 22.6 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup this equates to the large Campbell's can, you can also use cream of chicken soup. I've also subbed this for a healthier version of store bought condensed cream of mushroom soup.
- 8 tbsp unsalted butter, melted one stick
- 4 handfuls crushed corn flakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix sour cream, cheese, soup and 1/2 the butter together.
3. Stir into potatoes until thoroughly mixed. I wash my hands, and then mix by hand!
4. Lay this mixture evenly in a 9x13 baking pan.
5. Salt for taste.
6. Mix the remaining butter with the cornflakes, and crumble on top of the dish. Make sure to put cornflakes across the whole dish because they really add to the dish!
This week’s workouts:
Sunday: Day off, but I did go on a 3 mile walk around Lake Harriet in MN to catch up with friends.
Monday: Outdoor interval workout near my apartment. I ran three miles in a variety of base running pace, push pace, all out pace, and walk.
Tuesday: Jillian Michaels video- 30 day shred Level 2, bike 9 miles round trip to work
Wednesday: Run with a friend- 3.21 miles around the Park near my place.
Today: OrangeTheory Fitness, it was a power day. Every tank burpee (two push ups, two tuck jumps) makes you stronger.
Have a great weekend everyone!