In 2011, I started during Jillian Michaels work out videos. At the time, I was training for a marathon and looking for a way to incorporate strength into my routine while living in Northern Minnesota. Since there wasn’t an accessible gym or classes like I had been doing in college, I was looking for something else. Most of my friends were doing Insanity workout videos. Insanity is a great workout, but it would leave me too sore for marathon training. I started with 30 day shred and I really started to like the video.
I also own- Ripped in 30 and Six-week six pack. When I’m traveling (like this week), 30 day shred can be a good option in the hotel gym. Otherwise, this is a great workout when you are pressed for time. I will lay a towel down in my apartment and get exercising!
Why I like it
- This video has three different levels, I usually do workout 1 or 2. These workouts get harder throughout and build on each other.
- 20 minute work out, this video gets your heart pumping in 20 min. The set up is 3 min strength, 2 min cardio, and 1 min abs. This 6 min routine repeats three times.
- The catchy phrases, Jillian says some catchy and funny motivational lines- “Don’t phone it in” and “That pain is fear leaving your body”
- Little to no eqiupment, I don’t own hand weights, and I still get a great workout from this video. When I’m at a hotel gym, I grab 5 lb weights for this workout.
- Feels like a group fitness class, with Jillian as the trainer, and two others in the video, there is a group fitness vibe while working out alone.
- Motivation, this video is great when you are lacking motivation to work out!
pro tip: you can buy these videos on itunes, so you have it on an iPad or iPhone. This makes for a portable work out in the hotel.
Check out, Fitness trackers and Garmin Vivoactive and Orangetheory Fitness Review
This week’s workouts.
Saturday: 2 mile run and 10 minutes of weights at my hotel in KC
Sunday: 7 mile outdoor run by the Oklahoma River
Monday: Body Pump class at the YMCA
Tuesday: off day
Wednesday: 3 mile morning run, 30 minute yoga stretch and strengthen class at the YMCA
Thursday: heading to the gym now for about 30-40 minutes of bike/treadmill/weights.